The Flag of Sardinia
The symbol of the Quattro Mori (Four Moors) dates back to an ancient
Spanish legend of 1096, when the Aragonese defeated the Moor invaders
with the help of St. George, patron saint of Christian Chivalry, who
beheaded the four commanders of the Saracen army.
Among myth and reality, the symbol was adopted by the Aragonese royal house and the first depictions were lead seals dated 1281 showing the Quattro Mori without bandages.
In 1297 the island fell under Spanish rule and the Four Moors became the official banner of the Kingdom of Sardinia. We find the first news of the Four Moors representing the official flag of the Kingdom of Sardinia around 1380 and in 1571 the military arm of the Sardinian Parliament finally adopted the emblem, with the faces turned right and the blindfolds, a symbol of royalty, on their foreheads.
In 1720 the Savoy arrived in Sardinia and during the nineteenth century, no one knows how, the bandages were lowered over the eyes, perhaps due to a mistake of Piedmontese scribes or perhaps to keep the eyes of the Sardinian people closed in front of the rulers.